Thursday 28 January 2010

Metropol


Metropol, HUMTOO's latest mix tape, full of smooth percussive electronic grooves...the rhythms of city life.

Track listing:

Beauty - jayhales



Lounge of Lurv - TheAudioDetective
Ruff Lounge - TheAudioDetective


Moby Dyk - garrycribb




Urban Decay - godfreymusic



In An Electro Blue Dream - Giannis
A later shade of blue - Giannis



Leave the city - graham
Trippin - graham


Muffle - audioscapist
Three - audioscapist
Mon Salève - audioscapist

Last Orders - neokitsch



Im flying - foukbass
Bukowski no vox - foukbass
waiting - foukbass

Passenger of the night - StoneLionMusic



Alone in the city - Hans



Light at the end - KeyDrum12



shimmy - Soundgram



Here are what some of the music makers behind the mix tape have to say about their tracks:

Last Orders - Neokitsch is a quirky twist on the smooth groove/lounge music idiom, which uses unusual vocal echoes, and kitchen utensils for its percussion.

Passenger in the Night - StoneLionMusic I like to put myself mentally in to the place for what I am composing for. I imagined being in a Taxi and traveling through the city at night and watching the buildings and lights reflect off of the store front windows. I felt that using a smooth jazz theme matched very well with that.

Alone In The City - Hans I tried to depict the sensation of loneliness in a big city when you don't have any means to get in touch with the one you love.
I started the track with a sort of Avant Gard chord progression a la Erik Satie (Gymnopedie) and used break beats to sound more modern and urban.

Light At The End - KeyDrum12 I was inspired by watching Nature documentaries and scenery pictures. I just wanted to reproduce, almost "painting", those beautiful landscapes through music.

Mon Salève - Audioscapist
is a piece with a darkish heavy mood resolved by soaring lighter sections. Inspired by my memories of le Salève, a mountain with wondrous views of Geneva and surroundings. I remember one day watching parascenders rising in the thermals from the top, the lighter pads mimicking them were written first, followed by the driving bass to give the piece the solidity of the slopes.